Smart bulbs are more than just lights; they’re a blend of convenience and innovation. But with their higher price tag, the question arises, “How long do smart bulbs last?”
This guide will not only illuminate the lifespan of these bulbs but also offer tips to make them last even longer. While their smart features add a touch of modernity, it’s other factors that truly determine their longevity.
How Long Do Smart Bulbs Last?
Smart bulbs typically last between 15,000 to 25,000 hours, depending on the brand and usage. This translates to several years of use in a typical household setting.
However, their lifespan can be influenced by factors like usage frequency, ventilation, and power surges. Proper care and maintenance can help ensure they reach their maximum longevity.
How Many Days Is 25,000 Hours?
Let’s break down the lifespan of a smart bulb that lasts 25,000 hours into days and years.
There are 24 hours in a day.
25,000 hours ÷ 24 hours/day = 1,041.67 days
There are approximately 365 days in a year.
1,041.67 days ÷ 365 days/year = 2.85 years
So, a smart bulb that lasts 25,000 hours would approximately last for 1,041.67 days or about 2.85 years if it were to be left on continuously, 24/7.
However, in a typical household where a bulb might be on for about 6 hours a day:
25,000 hours ÷ 6 hours/day = 4,166.67 days
4,166.67 days ÷ 365 days/year = 11.42 years
In a more realistic scenario, a smart bulb that’s used for 6 hours a day could last over 11 years!
Real-World Insights on Smart Bulbs Lifespan
Philips Hue bulbs are a standout in the realm of smart lighting. While the manufacturer provides lifespan estimates, real-world experiences from users on Reddit can offer a more nuanced perspective.
Though these insights are about Philips Hue bulbs in particular, many of the observations may be applicable to other smart bulb brands as well. Here’s what some users have observed:
- Varied Lifespan Experiences: Not all bulbs are created equal. Some have dimmed out in less than a year, while others glow strong even after a decade of use.
- LED Efficiency: LEDs are the heart of these bulbs. Their power efficiency is remarkable, often glowing even when devices are turned off. This minimal power consumption contributes significantly to their prolonged lifespan.
- User Experiences: Many users have bulbs that have been shining bright for over 8 years. Continuous usage doesn’t seem to deter these bulbs, with many still functioning without a hitch.
- Other Factors to Consider: While the LED component has an estimated lifespan of 25,000 hours, other electronic components within the bulb might not share this longevity. Different colors achieved by varying LED brightness might wear out at different rates.
How Long Do Smart Bulbs Last Compared to Filament?
The allure of an automated home isn’t the only reason people are drawn to smart light bulbs. It’s also about the value and efficiency they offer.
Traditional filament bulbs, which many of us are familiar with, consume more power and have a limited lifespan. In contrast, smart bulbs utilize LEDs, which are incredibly energy-efficient.
Have you ever noticed a tiny light still glowing on a gadget even after you’ve turned it off? That’s the efficiency of LEDs at work.
They can operate on minimal power, making them last significantly longer. On average, a smart bulb can last around 23,000 hours. If you use it for six hours daily, that translates to roughly ten years of life.
Opting for premium brands like Philips Hue or Lifx can offer even more longevity, with lifespans reaching up to 25,000 hours. In practical terms, if you use these bulbs for about three hours daily, they could last an impressive 22 years.
So, while filament bulbs might only shine for 1,000 to 2,000 hours, smart bulbs, with their LED technology, promise many more years of illumination.
Average Lifespan from Leading Smart Bulb Brands
Different brands, different lifespans. Let’s see how some of the top brands stack up.
1. Cree Lighting Smart Bulb – 25,000 Hours
Cree Lighting is a trusted name in the lighting industry. Their smart bulbs promise up to 25,000 hours of light. That’s almost three years if you left it on 24/7! But, of course, no one does that. So, in a typical household, you’re looking at many years of use.
2. Feit Electric Smart Bulb – Up to 25,000 Hours
Feit Electric is another heavy hitter. Their bulbs also boast a lifespan of up to 25,000 hours. I’ve used these in my living room, and the light quality is fantastic. Plus, they’ve lasted longer than I initially expected.
3. Philips Hue Smart Bulbs – 25,000 Hours
Philips Hue is often the first name that comes to mind when talking about smart lighting. Their bulbs are not only versatile but also long-lasting. With 25,000 hours of light, you’re getting both quality and quantity.
4. Sengled Smart Bulbs – 25,000 Hours
Sengled offers a range of smart lighting solutions. Their smart bulbs are on par with the others, offering around 25,000 hours of illumination. I remember setting these up in my friend’s house, and she’s been raving about them ever since.
5. Sylvania Smart Home Bulbs – 15,000 Hours
Sylvania’s smart bulbs have a slightly shorter lifespan, averaging around 15,000 hours. But they make up for it with their vibrant colors and seamless integration with various smart home systems.
Factors Affecting Smart Bulb Lifespan
Smart bulbs are a brilliant addition to modern homes, but they have their quirks. Let’s dive deeper into what can influence their longevity.
- Dimming Over Time: Smart bulbs fade gracefully. Their LEDs dim one by one, so instead of an abrupt end, you’ll notice a gradual decrease in brightness.
- Heat Issues: LEDs in smart bulbs produce minimal heat, but it can accumulate, especially in the bulb’s neck. Overheating can cause some LEDs to fail, leading to dimmer light over time.
- Ventilation Matters: The placement of your bulb can affect its temperature. Bulbs in enclosed fixtures can get hotter than those in open spaces. A cooler bulb is a longer-lasting bulb.
- Different Lifespans of Components: While the LED might last for ages, other electronic parts inside might give up sooner. Also, frequently changing colors can wear out LEDs at varying rates.
- No Filament, No Sudden Burnout: Unlike traditional bulbs, smart bulbs don’t suddenly go dark. They don’t have a filament to break. But, you’ll need to watch for decreasing brightness as a sign of their age.
- Power Surges: Sudden spikes or drops in power can be hard on smart bulbs. Using surge protectors or stabilizers can help protect them.
- Frequent Switching: Turning your smart bulbs on and off repeatedly can reduce their lifespan. It’s better to keep them on for longer periods than to frequently toggle them.
- Software Updates: Smart bulbs, being “smart,” often receive firmware updates. Keeping them updated can ensure optimal performance and sometimes even extend their life.
- Quality of Electricity: Consistent, clean power is best for smart bulbs. Fluctuations in voltage or frequent power cuts can affect their longevity.
- Integration with Other Devices: Sometimes, constantly syncing or integrating with other smart devices or apps can cause wear and tear on the bulb’s electronic components.
How to Make Your Smart Bulbs Last Longer
Want to get the most out of your smart bulbs? Here are some tips to help them shine bright for years to come:
- Avoid Overheating: Heat is a common enemy of electronics, including smart bulbs. Ensure your bulbs are in well-ventilated fixtures. If a bulb feels too hot to touch, consider moving it to a more open fixture or using it less frequently.
- Limit Power Surges: Sudden spikes in electricity can damage your bulbs. If your area is prone to power surges, consider using surge protectors.
- Use Dimmer Settings: Running your bulbs at full brightness all the time can wear them out faster. If you don’t need full brightness, dim them a bit. Many smart bulbs come with apps that let you set brightness levels easily.
- Update Firmware: Manufacturers often release updates to fix bugs or improve performance. Regularly check for and install any firmware updates for your bulbs.
- Limit On/Off Cycles: Frequently turning your smart bulbs on and off can reduce their lifespan. It’s better to leave them on for longer periods if possible.
- Clean Them: Dust can accumulate on your bulbs, making them work harder to produce the same amount of light. Every few months, turn off the power, let the bulbs cool down, and gently wipe them with a soft cloth.
- Use Them Wisely: While it’s tempting to show off your colorful smart bulbs to friends, constantly changing colors or brightness levels can wear them out faster. Use these features, but maybe not every day.
- Quality Matters: Not all smart bulbs are created equal. Investing in reputable brands might cost a bit more upfront, but they often last longer and come with better warranties.
By following these tips, you can ensure that your smart bulbs light up your life for many years. After all, a little care goes a long way!
Frequently Asked Questions
In this section, we’ll tackle some of the most common queries people have about smart bulbs. Let’s get those questions answered!
Do smart bulbs last longer than regular bulbs?
Yes, smart bulbs generally last longer than regular incandescent bulbs. While traditional incandescent bulbs might last around 1,000 to 2,000 hours, many smart bulbs can shine for up to 25,000 hours or more, depending on the brand and usage.
Do smart bulbs wear out?
Smart bulbs don’t wear out in the same way traditional bulbs do. Instead of burning out suddenly, they gradually dim over time as their LEDs age. So, while they won’t leave you in the dark abruptly, you’ll notice a decrease in brightness as they approach the end of their lifespan.
How long does smart lighting last?
The lifespan of smart lighting varies based on the brand and model. On average, smart bulbs can last between 15,000 to 25,000 hours. In a typical household setting where a bulb is on for about 6 hours a day, this translates to roughly 7 to 11 years of use.
How long do Ikea smart bulbs last?
Ikea’s smart bulbs, known as TRÅDFRI, are designed to last up to 25,000 hours. If used for around 6 hours a day, this means they could last for over 11 years.
Smart bulbs are a bright idea for any home. They last long, save energy, and offer features traditional bulbs can’t. By understanding their lifespan and taking steps to extend it, you can enjoy their benefits for years to come.
So, the next time someone asks, “How long do smart bulbs last?” you’ll have a detailed answer ready. Happy lighting!
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Tell us how we can improve this post?